Friday, April 30, 2010

using my right brain

I am much more of a left brain person seeing as I'm a math major and I extremely enjoy problem solving. However, in the last few days, I've been using my right brain much more. Yesterday, I wrote a poem about many of the things that have been stuck inside me since my boyfriend and I broke up almost 4 months ago. I'm not sure what it's called, but here goes:

Much time has passed and here I stand,
My broken heart still in your hand.
I only want to hear you say
That everything will be okay.
How much more must I endure
Until I break or be made pure?
The thoughts of you are endless still,
But never do they bend my will.
The things you said that winter night
Have stayed with me here out of sight.
They've haunted everything I've done
And kept me from a glimpse of sun.
You'll never know the hurt you've made
And only time will see it fade.

It was good for me to finally get all that out of me and on paper, much more concrete than inside of me. It's definitely sad and kinda depressing, but there's supposed to be a thread of hope behind it. I don't know why, but whenever my emotion or hurt is overflowing, it turns into something poetic. It's the only time I seem to be able to pull that sort of stuff out of me. Which is fine. I don't really mind that. God has given me talents in other ways for me to be able to express myself like piano and guitar so that's nice.
The other way I used my right brain was today. The girl I'm going to room with next year and one of my dear friends, Chelsea, writes songs. She's not musically trained in any instrument, but she can simply hear the songs inside her head exactly how they should be played. That amazes me and I am completely impressed that everything we worked on today has been inside her head for a really long time. We spent 4 hours inside a hot practice room in front of a piano and a guitar working out the chords and notes that she wanted to express. The song turned out really good even though I have to work on my strumming... I seem to be only able to play one strumming pattern, but I'm starting to get out of that which is good. Anyways, after we work that out, it will turn into something really really good and I'm super excited. We're going to be playing stuff like that all next year because we're going to be roommates!!! :) can't wait.
Well, that's all for now. I'm watching Sound of Music while it's rain storming outside. I love rainstorms. Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment